Wednesday, April 25, 2012

DIY Yogurt

Holla ladies

I found this article from The pickled Herring

The entry is about how to make a home made yogurt..easy je,,but don't know if I can allocate time to do it..will try..soon..very soon..I promise..hehehhe

For those who want to serve preservative free yogurt to your kids or hubby, why not give it a try...kalau ada lebih..bak sket nak rasa.. :)


DIY: Yogurt

Who else can't believe that February is almost over?  2012 is seriously flying by... 

I don't make resolutions for the New Year, but I do make a little list in my mind of things I want to do more of. And this year one of those things was to make more home dairy products.  I acquired this little gem of a book, Home Dairywhich gives detailed instructions and helpful tips for making all kinds of your own dairy.  I've already tried cheese and butter, and today I tackled yogurt.

It's so simple that I have a feeling this will be a repeated project every few weeks.  I never want to buy yogurt again!  

Here is how I made it...


Recipe:
slightly adapted from Home Dairy

4 cups whole, low-fat, or skim milk (I used skim)
3 Tablespoons live yogurt (make sure the container says it contains "live, active cultures") 
Or in place of the live yogurt you can use 1 packet dried yogurt culture.  


Heat the milk until it almost reaches boiling, about 180 degrees Fahrenheit.  A candy thermometer is very useful here. 


Remove milk from the heat and let cool until 110 - 115 degrees F.  Add 3 Tablespoons prepared yogurt or your dried yogurt culture.  I let my prepared yogurt come to room temp while I heated and cooled the milk before adding it.


Once fully incorporated, pour into glass jars.  I used recycled jars from pasta sauces, well washed of course.


Once in jars or containers for storing, let the yogurt temperature stay between 110 - 115 for about 6 hours.  I preheated my crockpot on low, then added the glass jars and secured the lid, and then turned the crockpot off.  This should give your yogurt a warm place to culture for the next 6 hours.  

Other methods include pouring the yogurt into a thermos, in a cooler with jars of hot water, or in a preheated but off oven.


Refrigerate and use within 1-2 weeks.  

Note: Homemade yogurt tends to be thinner in consistency than its store-bought counterpart.  If you prefer your yogurt to have a thick consistency, try adding 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin in the first step while heating your milk.  Or you can also try adding dry powdered milk, 3-4 tablespoons during the first step.

No comments: